1.Election of Lok Sabha speaker:
- The Election of the Lok Sabha speaker will be held today. BJP has nominated its MP Om Birla for the post. Mr. Birla who is a two-time MP from Kota, Rajasthan filed his nomination yesterday.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Ministers Rajnath Singh, Amit Shah, and Nitin Gadkari proposed the name of Mr. Birla.
- The parties including BJD, Shiv Sena, Akali Dal, LJP, YSR Congress, JD(U) and AIADMK have supported his nomination.
- Congress has also moved a motion supporting the ruling party candidate for the post of Speaker of Lok Sabha.
- The decision was taken at a meeting of the UPA allies in parliament last evening
2. PM Modi to hold a meeting with Presidents of political parties on One Nation One Election issue:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will hold a meeting with the Presidents of all political parties having representation in Parliament on the issue of One Nation One Election in New Delhi today.
- During the meeting, celebrations of 75 years of India’s Independence in 2022 and Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary celebrations this year will also be discussed.
- Increasing the productivity in parliament and the development of aspirational districts are other items on the agenda.
- The Prime Minister has pitched for One Nation One Election on various occasions. During his Mann Ki Baat program in All India Radio in August last year, Mr. Modi had described the debate on the issue as a healthy sign for democracy.
- He had said that it is an appropriate tribute to former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee who changed the country’s political culture.
3. American President Donald Trump launches his 2020 re-election campaign:
- US President Donald Trump has launched his 2020 re-election campaign at a packed arena in Orlando, Florida. He said the US economy is the envy of the world and accused opposition Democrats of trying to destroy their country.
- In a tweet early yesterday, he attacked the European Union for what he says is currency manipulation making it “unfairly easier” for the US ally when it comes to trade.
- He also announced on Twitter that he wants the deportation of millions of illegal aliens.
- Trump faces reelection fight buoyed by soaring GDP, low unemployment, and the loyalty of his right-wing base
4. Maharashtra Govt presents the interim budget for the financial year 2019-20:
- In tune with Central Government’s maxim of ‘Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas’, the Maharashtra Government today presented a ‘progressive’ interim budget for the financial year 2019-20 and increasing it by 1,586 crore rupees over the last interim budget of 4,03,207 crores rupees.
- State Finance Minister Sudhir Mungantiwar who presented the Budget in the legislative assembly, said the revenue expenditure is estimated to be 3,34,933 crore rupees and a deficit of 20,292 crore rupees.
- The budget mainly focussed on augmenting agriculture and allied sector. Hailing the Budget, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said that it is a “balanced” Budget which takes care of all sections of the society.
5. SEBI permits stock exchanges to introduce futures on commodity indices:
- Capital markets regulator SEBI today permitted stock exchanges with commodity derivative segment to introduce futures on indices. SEBI in a circular said, the stock exchanges, willing to start trading in futures on commodity indices, are required to take prior approval for launching such contracts.
- The regulator has directed the stock exchanges to submit the proposal with contract specifications and risk management framework for approval before launching any futures contract on an index.
- The circular comes after SEBI floated a consultation paper in January, where it had proposed rules for product design for future on the indices as part of larger efforts to deepen the participation of institutions in the derivatives segment. The SEBI directives are in line with recommendations of Commodity Derivatives Advisory Committee