1. Demography of senior citizens:
- There are over 10.38 crore senior citizens in the country. Uttar Pradesh accounts for more than one crore 54 lakh followed by Maharashtra one crore 11 lakh.
- This information was given by Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment Rattan Lal Kataria in a written reply in the Rajya Sabha.
- He said the Ministry is implementing the Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana since April 2017 for senior citizens belonging to BPL category, who are suffering from age-related disabilities.
2. Cell for monitoring Rain Water Harvesting in Urban Local bodies:
- The Union Government asked all Urban Local Bodies across the country to set up a cell each for effective monitoring of Rain Water Harvesting and revival of at least one water body in their areas. In its Guidelines for urban water conservation, Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry said the cell should monitor the extent of groundwater extraction and groundwater aquifer recharge.
- This information should be displayed at prominent locations for public awareness. The guidelines have been issued as part of the first phase of Jal Shakti Abhiyan which began on 1st of this month and will continue till 15th of September this year.
3.Fifty lakh crore rupees Investment in railways by 2030:
- The government is planning to an investment of 50 lakh crore in railways by the year 2030 to make it the best in the world.
- The Railway Minister Mr. Goyal said that the rail infrastructure in the country increased by mere 30 percent in the last 65 years due to the lack of adequate investment, while freight and passenger traffic increased by 1500 percent.
- Mr. Goyal announced that the entire Konkan Railway route from Mumbai to Mangaluru via Goa would be electrified at the cost of 11,000 crore rupees.
4. UN nuclear agency to verify Iran enrichment announcement:
- The United Nations’ nuclear watchdog, International Atomic Energy Agency, has said that it is aware of Iran saying it will break the 2015 nuclear deal’s limit on uranium enrichment and its inspectors in Iran will report to its Vienna headquarters “as soon as they verify the announced development.
- Iranian officials announced that the country is ramping up the level of uranium enrichment beyond the 3.67 percent permitted under the deal. Earlier this month, Iran increased its stockpile of low-enriched uranium beyond the cap set by the deal.
- Iran’s moves have come in response to sweeping the US sanctions, imposed after President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew from the deal a year ago
5. Monsoon Session of MP Assembly begins:
- Monsoon Session of Madhya Pradesh Assembly will begin July 7 and will continue till July 26.
- This will be the third session of the 15th Assembly. A total of 15 sittings of the House will be held during which important legislations are expected to be taken up.
- During this session, the government will present the budget on 10th July. Many issues including farmer’s debt scheme, power cuts, transfers of officers and employees will also be discussed in the House.
- A meeting of BJP MLAs has been convened today to prepare a strategy on issues raised during the session.
- On the other hand, the legislators of the ruling Congress party prepared their plans on Sunday during a meeting in the Chief Minister’s residence.