1. The buffer stock of onion during Rabi season:
- Government has decided to create a buffer stock of 60 thousand metric tonnes of onion during this Rabi season under the price stabilization fund. This will be utilized towards calibrated releases during the lean season.
- The underprices stabilization fund, the National Agriculture Cooperative Marketing Federation of India has procured about 53 thousand metric tonnes of onions till 2nd of this month.
- The wholesale price of onion has experienced downfall from October last year to February this year and gradually started increasing from March 2019 onwards.
2. Ayodhya land dispute:
- One of the original litigants, in the Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid land dispute in Ayodhya, moved the Supreme Court to seek early hearing of the matter.
- The litigant said that nothing much has been happening in the case which was referred to a three-member panel of mediators, headed by former apex court judge Justice F M I Kalifulla, to explore an amicable solution.
- A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi was told by senior advocate P S Narasimha, appearing for litigant GS Visharad, that the title dispute needed to be listed for urgent hearing before the court.
- A five-judge constitution bench headed by the Chief Justice of India had in May extended the time for the panel of mediators for completing mediation proceedings till August 15. The bench had said that the panel had submitted that it was “optimistic” about an amicable solution
3. NGT Plans steps to tackle crop burning:
- National Green Tribunal, NGT has asked states of Punjab, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh as to how they intend to tackle the problem of crop burning, a major contributor to air pollution in Delhi.
- A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice AK Goel asked the three states to file progress reports indicating the strategies and proposed action plan to tackle the problem.
- The direction by the tribunal came following news reports on deaths caused in the national capital due to air pollution, and crop burning being one of the reasons for the poor air quality.
The bench said the issue for consideration before it was the remedial action needed to tackle air pollution caused by crop burning.
- It said that according to news reports, 25-30 percent of the air pollution in the national capital region was caused due to crop burning in Punjab, Haryana, UP and Delhi.
- The tribunal referred to the news reports while hearing a plea by Ganga Lalwani seeking direction to provide machinery to poor and marginal farmers to avoid crop residue burning
4. External Affairs Minister holds talks with his UAE counterpart:
- External Affairs Minister Jaishankar held talks with Foreign Minister of United Arab Emirates Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan in Delhi
- The UAE Foreign Minister arrived in New Delhi for a three-day visit.
- The visit is aimed at not only strengthening the comprehensive strategic partnership but also to explore new areas of cooperation between the two countries.
- In recent years, India’s age-old relationship with UAE has been nurtured to take it to a higher trajectory on the foundation of frequent high-level exchanges
5. Hima Das Won gold in Kutno Athletics Meet:
- Indian athlete Hima Das won her second international gold in women’s 200m with a top finish at the Kutno Athletics Meet in Poland.
- Hima finished 23.97 seconds to won the gold while VK Vismaya bagged the silver in 24.06 seconds. This was Hima’s second competitive 200m race of the year.
- She has a personal best of 23.10 seconds, in 2018.
- National record holder Muhammed Anas also won the gold in men’s 200m race with a time of 21.18 seconds.
- MP Jabir won the gold in men’s 400m hurdles in 50.21 seconds while Jithin Paul was third in 52.26 seconds